Saturday, April 23, 2011

tout est magnifique



In case I haven't mentioned it recently, I LOVE MY LIFE. So so much.
Last week I took some time to travel around Switzerland to see some of the touristy spots. Some days I was by myself, while other days I was with Andrew or Whitney.



At the Rhine Falls in northern Switzerland with Andrew

The Matterhorn in Southern Switzerland


Andrew and I spent over 8 hours on trains so we could cross the Swiss border and enter into Liechtenstein. It's the 6th smallest country in the world, but probably the most boring. We stayed long enough for Andrew to eat a Kebab and then booked it out of there to return to Switzerland.

I got the marvelous chance to spend yesterday out on the water of Lake Biel which is on the west coast. The weather was perfectly warm and I finally got to be out on a searay again, which is the boat my family has in Ohio. It was very relaxing to be out on the water again and a perfect way to end the week!

Last week there was some sort of milk festival happening in Fribourg. So they brought in cows (both real and fake) and handed out balloons and fresh milk!


Giant easter egg in the park near our train station.

I am in love with our backyard.

In the beginning of the week we celebrated Grace's 19th birthday by throwing her a surprise party!! This is me, Whitney, Grace and Andrew at her house. They were some of the first exchange students I met in Switzerland, and we've stayed really close this year.


I joined a choir at the beginning of the year and we had a small concert last week!

One thing I've learned while traveling and meeting people these past few weeks is that everybody in Europe is so much more cultured than people in America. They can always speak at least two languages fluently, and then usually another one well enough to manage in a different country. I met a lady who was born and raised in the US but then married anAustrian and later they moved to Switzerland. She speaks both french and high german fluently, and understands almost all of swiss german. For those of you who don't know, swiss german is the dominating language in switzerland, but it's probably one of the hardest languages to learn. It's not written or taught in school, you just have to learn it through daily conversations. I love how everybody I meet here has some sort of traveling history about them, so many people were born somewhere else and then came to Switzerland to settle down. I would love to be able to do that. All I want to do with my life is speak french and ride trains everyday. I think I've fallen in love with this beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment