Wednesday, August 25, 2010

what should i name this?

Hey there, hi there!

Today is Wednesday, which means no school!! I was so happy to sleep in and to not have to deal with my brain exploding, so already I know it's gonna be a good day. I figured I would blog a little more about the differences I have found between America and Switzerland.
First of all, the drinking is still so weird to me! Last night one of Guillaume's friend's came over for dinner, and then afterwards they were like, hey Michelle, come have a beer with us! So we were just chilling in the kitchen drinking a beer... and the alcohol content in Swiss beer is a lot higher, it's usually 8 or 9%. But maybe that's not for all beer, i'm not really sure. After we drank at home, the guys grabbed another beer and we walked to the bus. and they were just walking around, sitting on the bus drinking. it's just so weird to me, because never in my life would I consider walking through the streets of Bay Village sipping on a Bud LIght... so yeah, that's basically it. I'm not complaining or anything, it's just different! oh, and also, last night I tried a beer with lemonade in it, soooo goood!!!
Some other things I've noticed is that they eat so proper. It kind of freaks me out. I've never really considered myself to be a messy eater, but compared to Europeans I think I am! they hold the knife in the right hand and fork in the left and cut everything up. Like everything. Including french fries. Today for lunch we had pasta, and they were all swirling it with their spoons, and I was just looking like an idiot trying to cut it up, so I just gave up :( But yeah, this is really testing my dining skills!
The thing that's really bugging me the most is the prices!! It's sooo annoying how expensive the world is here. Water at a restaurant is not free, instead it's usually 4.5 francs (which is basically the same price in dollars) Yesterday I went out with a few people and we went to a restaurant where I got a Diet Coke (which is called Coca Light and it comes in a class bottle) and it was also 4.5 francs. Not cool. Last night we went to a bar because every Tuesday night they have beer for 2 francs, so like all of Fribourg comes flocking to get cheap beer. That's where I tried the beer with lemonade!
After being here for a week I don't understand why the US gets all the blame for having anorexic teens, because here it's insaneee!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone is starving themselves, but never in my life have I seen so many stick thin people. The age doesn't even matter, I've seen tiny people from age 10 to 80. Maybe it's just because of their lifestyle, they eat healthier, they walk more bla bla bla but either way, it's not exactly helping my self esteem!
I think I mentioned the driving a bit? I'm not really sure, but something new i've noticed is that cars always stop for people. Yesterday morning I was standing on the curb waiting to cross and an oncoming car came to a complete stop for me to cross. Pedestrians don't even bother looking at the traffic before stepping into the street, becasue the cars are just expected to stop. Now to me that seems stupid and dangerous, but it seems to be working for them!
One last thing that I can't seem to grasp is the fact that they where the same clothes the next day. I knew that was common, but it just seems weird to me. I'm not one to wash my jeans everyday, but I usually wait a week or 2 before I repeat an outfit. But nope, not here!
Oh and also, I have never seen so many nuns in my life. Nuns in a car, nuns in a bus, nuns in a train! It's crazyyy, i feel like i'm in the Sound of Music!

4 comments:

  1. hahahha michelle, nice observations! :D but the nuns aren't everywhere, just so you know. must be fribourg :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. is this what switzerland looks like?
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/nuns-having-fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes sister, that's exactly it. I witnessed half of those pictures being taken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. shellyyy. i see the same things in belgium, with the cars and stuff. not so much the nuns though. haha and don't worry, the first day i got to paris i was like okay, thanks this has been fun, lets go home now.. oh wait, i wont... for a long time. just remember that this is your time for fun! everyone is changing from their own experiences so its not just you!

    ReplyDelete