Wednesday, September 1, 2010

You have to leave the ground to learn to fly

I've officially been away from home for 2 weeks, and this is without a doubt the hardest 2 weeks I've experienced. Being thrown into this completely different world has already taught me so much, and it has really made me appreciate my small town and close family and friends. I'm still getting adjusted here, and it's making me feel like I don't have a home. I feel like I'm in limbo because I'm not comfortable enough here to consider these people friends and family, yet I'm so disconnected from Bay Village that it's almost weird to consider that home anymore. When I'm stuck in my challenging french class I always mutter to myself that I want to go home, but I don't even know what I mean by that anymore. I know it defiantly takes more than 2 weeks to adjust, so I'm trying to have a little faith! The major challenge I'm dealing with is that I haven't had an appetite since arriving here. My host mom has been making the most incredible food, but I literally can't eat anything. I don't know if it's nerves, or just the fact that I'm not adjusted... but either way it sucks because I'm basically living off of Diet Coke. Fortunately I finally figured out that it's a lot cheaper to buy Diet Coke at the grocery store as opposed to the little Kiosk's at the train station, so at least I can afford it now!
Here's something that might make you laugh: A couple of days ago I was walking to school from the bus station and I passed a lady in her 40's speeding down the sidewalk on a razor scooter smoking a cigarette. I was the only one staring, so I can only assume this is semi-normal. Now I don't know about you, but I haven't ridden a razor scooter since I was about 12. Perhaps I'll have to give them a second chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment