Friday, August 20, 2010

I'm Here!!



I've arrived in Switzerland! Hip hip hooray!! I flew out on wednesday and got into New York City where we had a 2 day orientation and I met up with all the other kids going to Switzerland (12 all together). The day was filled with boring activities and bad food, but it wasn't completely horrible I guess. Just not really worth mentioning... On Thursday we left for the airport and took off at 5:30 for Zurich! The flight was long and uncomfortable, but fortunately I was able to sleep for a while. We got into Zurich at 7:30 in the morning, but for us it was actually 1:30 in the morning, so everyone was pretty exhausted. My host mom and dad met me at the airport and then we took the train back to their town. I'm already noticing a lot of differences here, mainly the fact that they are so environmentally conscious. People stop their cars at red lights, the buses run on electricity instead of gas, it costs money for garbage pickup, but recycling is free. and i'm sure the list will go on and on!
THe house i'm living in is amazingg!! it's 110 years old and soooo beautiful! I have my own room, which is really nice. (the picture is the view from my window) there are spiral staircases, which i'm a huge fan of. they have a lovely garden in the back where they usually eat and it overlooks mountains and fields. they also have a pool! tonight I'm apparently going to a birthday party, but i wasn't exactly paying attention when it was all explained to me, so i'm gonna ask for details later.
My host parents are fluent in english, but unfortunately they're only going to use English until sunday, and then it's up to me to learn french :/ that really freaks me out, because my french is basically non existent... but i guess immersion is the best way to learn it! I also start a language class on Monday, so that will be a big help. That's all i've got for now, talk to you later!

2 comments: