Friday, January 28, 2011

Oh baby we're half way there

Today marks my halfway point in Switzerland. The countdown has officially changed from how many weeks I've been here to how many weeks I have left. for your information it's 23 weeks in, and 23 weeks left. I honestly don't even know how I feel about it. I have a little bit of every emotion swimming around my brain right now, including happy, excited, sad, proud, frustrated, scared and everything else you could possibly imagine. I'm proud of myself for making it this far, sad that I'm halfway done, yet happy at the same time that I'll soon(ish) be reunited with my life in America. And sometimes I'm frustrated that I'm only halfway done. This has been an amazing 5 months, but seriously, another 5!? Sometimes it seems impossible. A lot of the time I am so happy with my life in Switzerland, and proud of myself for making it this far. This is really the only thing I've ever done by myself. I have built a life all on my own, coming over here without knowing a single person. But now those strangers have turned into best friends, the unfamiliar town of Fribourg has turned into a place I could navigate if blind, and that family who welcomed me on my first day in Switzerland has turned into my home. I also have plenty of off days when I get a little nostalgic about the past, when I miss being in Bay Village with my friends and family, the people who have seen me through everything important in my life. Because in all honesty, nothing beats the people you grew up with. I look forward to seeing them in July and have already been planning things to do this summer. But I need to keep in mind that as much as I am looking forward to going home, i have to live in this moment, because I know the second I leave there will be a Switzerland shaped hole in my heart, and I'll begin to miss everything more than thought possible. Even though french stresses me out, I know I'll miss hearing it everyday. I'll miss taking the train home from school everyday and taking the same bus as Meredith in the morning. I'll miss the people who have become my friends and family, and I'll look back on our year together and want to return to it. I'll miss the mountains, and the fact that after 5 months they can still take my breath away. So I'm going to go out and live my next 5 months to the fullest, and hope that when I finally return to america I'll have a million amazing memories to take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment