Sunday, January 23, 2011

Maybe together we can get somewhere

So it's sunday afternoon and I'm too lazy to leave the house, so instead I'm sitting in my room pondering life (you know, the usual). I was thinking that even though I've been here 5 months, I don't have the same relationships here compared to the US. but that's because here, I'm closer with my friends. I've realized that I have been more honest with myself and others since arriving here, that I don't hold back anything now, because we're starting from scratch with everybody. and it's almost easier that way, because nobody here grew up with me, they don't know my friends or my family, and somehow that makes it easier to be my complete self. I've learned so much about myself and become more honest here, because we're all looking for companionship. All the exchangies came over here alone, but you can't live alone for too long. You have to eventually get everything out the open and build new relationships. The problem with being an exchange student is that, eventually, the stress is going to get to you. One day you'll just get so fed up with not understanding, or being lonely that you will break. I've seen the strongest people become torn to pieces. and it kills me to see my friends hurt, but I've learned so much more about them that way. Everybody has a problem they can talk about, but despite those problems they can still be happy people. I can honestly say that I know more personal details about the other exchangies than I do about people in Bay Village. It would be so easy for everyone to come over here and start over new. To pretend that all the problems of their home life didn't exist. and in the beginning we do that, but somehow in the end, the truth always comes out. I'm still not exactly sure why that is, but I know it's helping people grow. Talking about their problems makes them real, but then at the same time not. Because we're all thousands of miles away from our old life. Therefore our problems become old problems. We can start new here and learn to be happy with who we were and who we are becoming. And I think that's amazing.
Sorry if none of that made sense, I'm just sort of rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment