Sunday, January 9, 2011

hug rant

I was watching Glee with my brother Maxime today (he claims he hates it, yet I have found him watching it numerous times) and it's the episode where Idina Menzel plays Rachel's mom. They sing my personal favorite cover (Poker Face) and then hug as they say goodbye. Maxime turns to me and says "a little hug, that's right?" and I respond "yes that's right. But what's the word 'hug' in french. I forget it" his response "we don't use that word..." yes ladies and gentlemen, this is true life, he doesn't even know the word for hug in french, because they DON'T DO IT! Now I think it's a bit odd that he doesn't know the word in french, because even though I don't bungee jump, I still know the word for it... you know what I mean? But anyways, this question brought up an interesting discussion between my brother and I. I asked him why people never hug here, and he said it's too personal, the 3 kisses is such a better way to greet people because you don't have to be on a first name basis to do it. I guess that makes sense, because you wouldn't hug someone you just met, whereas it's completely acceptable to do the 3 kisses upon first meeting. but seriously, I am severely lacking in hugs over here, and it's slightly depressing that Maxime doesn't even know the word, let alone the feeling, of getting a quality hug from someone you know.

1 comment:

  1. i totally feel you, girl. next time i see you, i'll give you a big hug. :)

    ReplyDelete