Thursday, March 10, 2011

fasnacht

Ladies and gentlemen, I have discovered my new favorite holiday.
CARNAVAL!!!
and no, i'm not stupid, that is the french spelling of it. And in german it's called Fasnacht.

Carnaval is a catholic holiday that is celebrated right before lent. It's basically the same concept of mardi gras, just more hard core. It's a 5 day event where you party it up right before you have to stop drinking/partying/having fun during lent. It's europe's version of Halloween (if you recall, my halloween was rather uneventful and my family didn't even realize it was halloween.) This is the time of the year to dress up and party like crazy! Each town has their own carnaval for the most part, so I stayed in my town of Fribourg. I went into town friday night and saturday without a costume, and I literally felt like a freak. Sunday there was a parade during the day and then l'homme qui brûle (the burning man.) I'm still not exactly sure what the burning man symbolizes, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it represents the end of winter. Tuesday night was the last night of Carnaval, so I dressed up and danced the night away! Enjoy some marvelous pictures below!


The parade! Confetti was everywhere and covered my clothes/hair/purse, therefore covering my house once I got home.

Saturday night with Mylisha and Grace

Mario!

L'homme qui brûle

Every single swiss student has this brand of highlighters.

At the parade with Mylisha

Grace and some NASA guys

Banana and the bee!

No comments:

Post a Comment