Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Singapore, playground for the rich

Located at the tip of the Malaysian peninsula, Singapore is a tiny city-state that holds a heavy reputation. It's home to some of the wealthiest people in the world and it holds the record for most populated collection of billionaires. Singapore is known to be expensive, and of course I've had my eyes set on one of the most expensive places in the city; The Marina Bay Sands Hotel. I planned a trip to Singapore specifically for this dazzling hotel, and I honestly don't think I would've bothered coming if I wasn't so enamored by the hotel. I planned on having a "staycation" where I'd basically live either in my bathrobe gazing out at my bedroom views, or in my bathing suit at the highest infinity pool in the world. Though I did do both, I managed to do much more than I was planning in Singapore, and absolutely loved it!
For as much as I've traveled, I've done very little solo travel and Singapore got off to a slow start, as I figured it would. Although I light up around people I know, I'm painfully shy when it comes to strangers and I'd rather spend time alone as opposed to making small talk with people I don't know. My first afternoon in Singapore I checked into a far less expensive hotel and spent the afternoon lounging at the pool. I enjoyed quiet meals at the poolside restaurant with the company of my book, but eventually I had to get out and see the city that I had come so far to explore. I was just over a mile from the infamous Marina Bay, so I headed in that direction on foot, hoping to check out some sights along the way. The further I walked, the more I realized what a strange city Singapore is, especially compared to other Asian countries and cities. For starters, it's not crowded. I'll blame that on the fact that I was wandering through the business section for a while, but even after that there were very few people even out in the touristy areas. I never had to fight for space on the sidewalk, never had to fear my life while crossing the street and there was always room to sit on public transportation. It was weird, but a very nice breath of fresh air compared to the normal insanity of Asia.
Another huge difference in Singapore is how well it's maintained. Besides Swiss cities I don't think I've even been in a place that is so clean and proper. There are garbage cans and recycling bins always within your vision, the sidewalks and streets are clean and taken care of and there's absolutely no litter anywhere. Singapore is known as the "fine city", meaning that there's a penalty for almost any negative action you take towards the city. There's a hefty fine for littering and there's mixed reports on whether chewing gum is illegal (I think just purchasing gum in large quantities isn't allowed). This system is clearly working for them, because Singapore is spotless.
Although I did very few activities during my 48 hours in Singapore I absolutely loved this city, especially compared to other Asian locations. Although the energy of Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur can be fun at times, I'm a sucker for order and simple things and Singapore gave me exactly that. There's no questioning or guessing here; restaurants and coffee shops are clearly labeled as so, there's no wandering down a random alley and eating at broken plastic tables. Signs towards the public transit are clear and large so there's barely an opportunity to get lost. And most importantly, they follow traffic laws! A red light actually means stop, and there's no chance of a car barreling past you even though you have the walk signal. Coming to Singapore alone I thought I would always be second guessing myself, questioning which way to go or struggling to find a good place to eat. I think this was a great city to visit alone, because it was so simple! It also doesn't hurt that English is a national language, making directions a lot easier.
Singapore was a good end to my seven months in Asia and it helped ease me back into the Western world. A world where water is free, streets are clean, people drive on the right side of the road, and the currency doesn't require complicated math.






No comments:

Post a Comment